Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Oh, Danny Boy...

I wasn't going to get carried away and post personal stuff "quite so soon," but today is different. I just posted this to my Facebook wall and because posts there seem to disappear I thought I'd go ahead and post it here, too.  Hope everyone doesn't mind.

*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•`This date, February 12th, has meaning in my life. It would have been my only brother Danny's 65th birthday. He left this earthly life when he was but barely 21 years old way back in 1969. I've missed him. We fought like all siblings do growing up and I didn't always understand him. After all we barely made it to adults when he passed and he'd been in the Navy for 2 years. What I remember was his big heart. He loved our Dad in spite of his being a mean man. He always let me have the dime when I'd ask to trade telling him the nickle was bigger. He knew the difference. He wouldn't take messages when I was away and wanted to know if someone special had called, but would always tell me by bedtime. He got a BB Gun for Christmas one year. He and the neighbor boys promptly went out to shoot birds. Danny killed a robin. He brought it all the way home, put it in a box and buried it in a special place in the yard. For weeks I'd watch him get up early every morning before school, go out and stand at the spot he buried that robin and let tears slide down his cheeks. He'd be mad that I told this story. He wanted to be a man in everyone's eyes. I named my only son after him just 4 months before he passed. I'm thankful God let him know I loved him enough to want my son to carry his name. He's been gone a long time. It still hurts, some things we never get over. Today is his birthdate and I'm blessed to have been his sister. ༺♥༻


No comments:

Post a Comment